I am joining a club called The Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast. The blogging club was started by Sandy and her excellent blog, Another Lovely Day. The club has a simple premise. Focus on things you have wanted to do and over time look more and more impossible or improbable and start believing in them. The club also has a great logo supplied by Sandy.
The reference to six impossible things is from Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. As Sandy reminds us of the story:
The Queen has just asked Alice how old she is. Alice answers, “I’m seven and a half exactly.”
“You needn’t say exactly,’” the Queen remarked: “I can believe it without that. Now I’ll give you something to believe. I’m just one hundred and one, five months and a day.”
“I can’t believe that,” said Alice.
“Can’t you?” the Queen said, in a pitying tone. “Try again; draw a long breath, and shut your eyes.”
“There is no use trying,” said Alice; “one can’t believe impossible things.”
“I dare say you haven’t had much practice,” said the Queen. “When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”
As the Queen did in the story, we need to think of our six things each morning and go from there. Am I making progress on my list? What should I do next? Step one is a declaration and putting my list in writing, so here I go with my list of six impossible things:
- Health – I know what that healthy weight is – time to get there. Eat well. Row well.
- Career – I know what to do. It is time to do it. No one else will make it happen.
- Travel – Visit Europe with my family. Italy, Spain, Ireland and heck more and more.
- Spirit – Commute by bike most days to work. Slow down, move, and feed the spirit.
- Novel – It is time. Begin. Persevere. Finish.
- We Move Together – Everything I can do to bring people closer together and accomplish more together.
- Oh yea, one more … I want to build my own Tiki Bar!
The simple act of typing out my personal list is powerful. As appropriate I will report on my progress. Do you have your own list?
Sandy is looking for more to join the club. Check out her site: Another Lovely Day
Another great post Michael!
Thank you Brian. As I told you yesterday your timing for your comment was perfect to start my Friday.