Today is also my mother’s birthday. Earth Day may not be viewed as our planet’s birthday, but let’s do so anyhow. My mother serves as a good stand in for the Earth through her wisdom, strength and always the teacher.
Some quick thoughts reflecting on Earth Day and lessons for our organizations:
- Focus on sustainability. We need short-term goals, but they need to serve the long-term vision. As leaders focus on building something that lasts. Sustainability is not standing still. It builds on itself and grows.
- There will be endings … and beginnings. Rivers dry up. Rains return and water flows again. Life finds a way. Organizations too are born and do eventually die. As people we find a way, rebuild and new organizations emerge. Indeed life finds a way.
- Notice the connections, the systems at play. Nature is all connected. So to are our organizations. As leaders be wary of drilling down to deep. A wide view is often best. Watch the space between the parts.
- The natural world is good for us. Go for a walk today. I pray there is a park and trees near you. Even better, a forest … with running water. Personally I dream of working at the edge of a forest. Balance and renewal outside my door.
- Nature and people will amaze you if you let them grow. Trust and nurture those around you. Watch out for those entrusted to your care.